Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I have every reason to be humble. Yet, somehow, whenever I manage to string together a decent number of days or hours in which I do well, or well enough, my ego starts to inflate. I become prideful and critical, judgmental and thus hypocritical. Fortunately, I suppose, events soon conspire to remind me why I ought to be humble. Still, I’d like to be able to tie down this balloonish pride of mine that seems so prone filling up with hot air and floating away. I want my perspective to be permanently grounded in the earth of knowing that for me, and probably for everyone else, life is a great struggle. And so, in our thoughts and feelings and actions, we should be kind to one another.

2 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Amen, Kenny, especially to your last sentence, "And so, in our thoughts and feelings and actions, we should be kind to one another."

Do you know this prayer, attributed to Ephraim of Syria? It helps me keep things in perspective…

O Lord and Master of my life, take away from me the will to be lazy and to be sad, the desire to get ahead of other people, and to boast and brag. Give me instead a pure and humble spirit, the will to be patient with other people and to love them. Let me realise my own mistakes, and keep me from judging the things that other people do, for You are blessed, now and forever more.

Kenny said...

Thanks for Ephraim's prayer; I prayed that today.